Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Struggles of Recreational Reading in College

I'm sure many of you reading this blog are in college or have went to college at some point in your life. Maybe you're a middle school or high school student preparing for college; this post might be helpful for you too. 


Currently I'm in my second year at a state University. I've loved everything about college so far. There's always something to do, people to meet or new places to go. It's great to be apart of a large university with so many options. You even get to pick the classes that seem interesting to you. There are just so many upsides to college. 
vintage animated GIF

Yet, the free time that I would use to read in high school or on breaks disappears. I never seem to be picking up new novels because my time goes to studying or hanging out with friends. Not only that, if you need a quite place to read most likely you have to travel to the library. Most college dorms are very loud and energetic. 

If you like to read then maybe you are an English Major like me. I'm sure you know how much reading you are required to do for those classes. My freshman year wasn't too bad. I only took one English class a semester yet now they're piling up. When you're reading a couple novels or plays at a time for different classes it's hard to start another book. Right now I'm in the middle of a novel, reading a play a week for class, and multiple short stories a week for my other class (not to mention that I just joined a book club on campus). Any free time I have I would much rather watch Netflix then start another book. 

But, I still love to read and when I finally make myself start a new book I get lost in the world. When a book captures your attention and allows you to get attached to the characters is wonderful feeling. Reading is something I'll always love and will always find time for. 

3 comments:

  1. Yes, it's hard to make time for recreational reading in high school and college because there's so much other stuff that's required. But like you said, it's something you love; it's a habit; it's not going to die in university! It might just go on hiatus. Don't sweat it. It'll always be there waiting for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Follow With A Book on Tumblr!

http://www.with-a-book.tumblr.com/

and now on instagram!
@with_a_book