Thursday, December 1, 2011

Review: Starcrossed



Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)I'm behind on my reviews and blogging so I thought the next few reviews would be quick and short. Straight to the point reviews. Some of you might prefer this. I've had a few people say my reviews were to long anyway. However once I catch up, I will probably go back to that. I like the long reviews and getting my whole point across. 


Starcrossed 

by Josephine Angelini 
Summary: How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.
Review:The swirling blues and pastel purples on this glossy cover is what made me pick Starcrossed up, and the summary made me buy it. Including the Greek mythology didn't hurt, that is always interesting to read about. Yet Starcrossed sadly did not lived up to my expectations. My first disappointment was the beginning. There was nothing there to grab me. I was forcing myself to tread through the pages. The story was dry and the main character did not help. Helen didn't have any passion to her, no emotion and just no personality. 
Now there was one thing that I did like, the connection between Helen and Lucas. When they were both in the same room together is when I enjoyed the story. Lucas's family was also another part of the book that I enjoyed; they were interesting to read about. Each member of the family had a different personality and actions. Getting to meet them all was the best part of the book, in my opinion. 
Will I be reading the sequel? Maybe, The story did get more exciting and addicting toward the last 50 pages (of 500) and I would like to know what happens with Lucas and Helen next. 


--Danielle


And I guess that wasn't as short as I thought it would be. When I didn't like a part of the book I have to explain why or I feel horrible. But longer is better right? 

3 comments:

  1. I like longer reviews ;)

    I have read similar reviews on this one, which makes me really sad because it sounds really great. I still want to read it though and look forward to "meeting" Lucas family :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The length of a review doesn't matter to us so much as the quality. Here you have explained your position quite nicely. We too were not gripped by the beginning, but we haven't had a chance to check out the end. (We read the free preview online before the book came out.) Thanks for letting us know it gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to here you like the long reviews! I do too :)

    ReplyDelete

Follow With A Book on Tumblr!

http://www.with-a-book.tumblr.com/

and now on instagram!
@with_a_book