Saturday, August 28, 2010

Mockingjay (review)

Mockingjay

By Suzanne Collins
(Received from publisher)
Amazon
Summary: Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.


It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans -- except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay -- no matter what the personal cost.


Review: I finished Mockingjay yesterday and I’m still not completely sure what to think. Everyone has such mixed feelings about the final installment, but I can say that I really, really enjoyed it. I actually think it’s my favorite book in the trilogy.

I’ve read about so many people thinking that the characters are out-of-character. I don’t even think that’s possible. Suzanne Collins created them, and it’s not some fanfiction. I also don’t feel that Katniss was too weak. After everything she’s been through I feel she has a right to complain, or just not want to have all the pressure. In the beginning of Hunger Games she was just a girl who kept to herself and took care of her family. I think we all forget that she’s only seventeen years old.

The only parts that I didn’t like were the ending and Peeta. The ending felt rushed and a few things could have been explained more. I did enjoy the epilogue. Why didn’t I like Peeta? Well, I just wish there was more of him. Peeta was my favorite character and the romance was my favorite part (in The Hunger Games and Catching Fire). So I wish there was more of it.

The plot is nothing like I predicted. It was very violent, and frightening. Once you got a hang of the book some parts were a bit predictable, yet some plot twists sent me for a lope. I found my self crying hysterically at times. Mockingjay was not what I expected.

It’s really hard for me to write a spoiler free review. There are so many scenes I want to talk about. So I’m going to stop here and tell you to go read the Hunger Games if you haven’t. They entrance you and will have you addicted until the very end. Then afterwards it’s all you’ll think about for days, maybe even weeks. This isn’t a story that’s easy to forget.


--Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow With A Book on Tumblr!

http://www.with-a-book.tumblr.com/

and now on instagram!
@with_a_book