Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Review: Hades

Hades (Halo, #2)Hades by Alexandra Adornetto
Source: ARC from Around The World ARC Tour
Goodreads/Amazon


Summary: Heaven Help Her.

Bethany Church is an angel sent to Earth to keep dark forces at bay. Falling in love was never part of her mission, but the bond between Beth and her mortal boyfriend, Xavier Woods, is undeniably strong. But even Xavier’s love, and the care of her archangel siblings, Gabriel and Ivy, can’t keep Beth from being tricked into a motorcycle ride that ends up in Hell. There, the demon Jake Thorn bargains for Beth’s release back to Earth. But what he asks of her will destroy her, and quite possibly, her loved ones, as well.

The story that Alexandra Adornetto built in her New York Times-bestselling debut, Halo, comes alive in action-packed and unexpected ways, as angels battle demons, and the power of love is put to the test.


Review: Halo was one of my favorite books of 2010, mostly because I'm a hopeless romantic but it's also due to Alexandra Adornetto descriptive way of writing. While I was happy with the ending in Halo, I wanted more of Bethany and Xavier's story. I was over-joyed to find that Halo was going to have a sequel. Sadly I have some mixed feelings about Hades. 

One of my favorite aspects of Halo was the fact it was breath of fresh air from the other Angel books in YA. For example, Hush, Hush and Fallen take a dark spin on Angels. Halo, however, was different it was light and romantic. Yet Hades was the opposite, I felt it was trying to be like the other YA Angel novels. This was unnecessary because of the fact that being different was one of Halo's best features. Also, I wish there was more romance and Xavier in Hades. Both were lacking in the sequel and that's what made me fall in love with Halo in the first place.

There was one part of Hades that I did enjoy, the villain. For me, villains are one of my favorite part of a novel . They are the most complex characters and as a result they are just so much fun to try and figure out. Jake Thorn was one of those villains that make you wonder just how bad they are. You can tell he really cared about Bethany in his creepy way. While reading one question that kept going through my mind was how Jake had ended up like he is. I feel like there is an interesting back story there. If Alexandra ever wrote a prequel about him, I would be very excited to read it.

Over-all I did enjoy reading Hades even with my complaints. It was nice to see these characters that I loved again, even though it was mostly Bethany and Jake. I won't hesitate to read anything Alexandra Adorenetto writes. Her descriptive writting captures me every time and after all she is only 19, we should be seeing tons more of Alexandra in the future.







--Danielle



No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow With A Book on Tumblr!

http://www.with-a-book.tumblr.com/

and now on instagram!
@with_a_book