Saturday, January 29, 2011

Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium
By Lauren Oliver
Release Date: February 1, 2011
Publisher HarperTeen

“It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.”

This is the first line of Delirium. It sets you up for the interesting world you find throughout the novel. A world where no one truly loves you, poetry doesn't exist and flirting is a dirty word. While reading I couldn't help but think about how much the story reminded me of Matched and Uglies. Yet it was also very original, I feel that fans of both books will fall in love with Delirium.

In the world of Delirium you have a surgery to be cured of deliria after you turn eighteen. (This is where it reminded me of Uglies) and you pick the guy your going to marry from the select few the government offers to you. (Sounds a bit like Matched right?) The main character Lena is petrified of getting the disease and has followed every rule set by the government. She has never even said more then three words to a boy outside of her family. Until she meets Alex (swoon), then she questions everything she knows.
        
I find that dystopian novels are always addicting. You have a whole new world to learn about. So far I've enjoyed every one that I’ve read, but that’s not many. (Matched, Hunger Games, Uglies are the only ones that come to mind). Delierium was no exception. It was one of, if not the best that I have read so far.
         
I should have expected the perfectly beautiful writing from Lauren Oliver after reading her debut novel, but I just wasn’t prepared for the breath-taking story. I was up till three in the morning because of Delirium. Only till two reading, I couldn’t fall asleep for another hour because I could not stop thinking about it. This is just one of those novels that sticks with you. I’ll probably still be thinking about it till 2012 when the sequel comes out.
            
This is a book you do not want to miss, it comes out on February second and everyone should pick a copy up. Before you do I have to warn you there will be tears while reading and you are left with a HUGE cliffhanger. (and I mean HUGE, another resemblance to the Uglies series) One the back cover it does say “ A world as terrifying as the Hunger Games and a romance as true as Romeo and Juliet” You have been warned, now go and read!


--Danielle


I'm really sorry that I was MIA all week. I had finals this week and on Monday I start a whole new set of classes. The good news is we usually don't do much the first few weeks of class, mostly reviewing. That means I should have a lot of time to read and write. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow With A Book on Tumblr!

http://www.with-a-book.tumblr.com/

and now on instagram!
@with_a_book