Friday, June 8, 2012

Review: Lucky Fools

Lucky FoolsLucky Fools
By: Coert Voorhees
Source: Around the World ARC Tours
Release Date: July 10th 2012


Summary: David Ellison dreams of acting at Juilliard, but he's expected to attend nearby Stanford University, just like all of his classmates at hard-driving Oak Fields Prep. As if wasting his private school education weren't enough, David is also on track to destroy his relationship with his girlfriend, Ellen, when he finds himself falling for his new co-star, Vanessa. 


With David's Juilliard audition approaching, and his relationship teetering on the brink of disaster, Oak Fields is thrown into chaos as a mysterious prankster begins attacking the school's highest achievers, determined to sabotage their college aspirations. Anyone who excels is a potential target, and David, the star of every play, could be next.


From the author of the highly praised The Brothers Torres comes a dangerously insightful book about enduring the pressures of high school, surviving the ins and outs of love, and fighting for your dreams, no matter what.


Review: Lucky Fools drew me in because of it's summary. I'll be a senior in the fall and I have no idea what I want to do you college. David seemed just a confused as I am, expect he knows where he want's to go. He's just expected to go somewhere. There's a big difference from Juilliard and Stanford. Both amazing school but excel in different things. This is why I was connected to the book, he had college problems. Just like I do. 

While David is torn between school's he is also torn between girls. He has a long time girlfriend that he still loves, but is starting to have feels for his co-star Vanessa. I actually love love triangles, I like that feel they add to the novel. 

The main character David wasn't my favorite. I just didn't feel the connection to him. At first I thought it was because he was a male narrator but then I realized that wasn't it. He didn't grow at all in the novel until the very last chapters. He didn't have an layers or anything to give you that connection to him. 

The plot it's self was not bad. As I said above, I could connect to it because I'm going to be a senior in the fall. Yet one thing I don't think will happen to me is fighting for a chance to get into Stanford. When the school announces that only one student from each high-school can be accepted to the college the pressure on David gets even worse. While this sounds like an unbelievable situation, the author actually made it work. I really didn't think twice when I read it. 

Lucky Fools was a fun quick read. It's a novel that I would recommend to high-schooler's. I feel that they will be able to connect to the plot more then anyone else. It might even be able to help people that are put into between two schools as David is. It also has the cute romance for anyone who loves reading romance as I do. This is a really cute novel if it falls into a genre that you like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow With A Book on Tumblr!

http://www.with-a-book.tumblr.com/

and now on instagram!
@with_a_book