Friday, May 11, 2012

Review: Wither (audio book)

Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1)Wither (audio book)
by Lauren Destefano
Read by: Angela Lin

Summary: After modern science turns every human into a genetic time bomb with men dying at age twenty-five and women dying at age twenty, girls are kidnapped and married off in order to repopulate the world.


Review: This is one book that took me awhile to actually pick up and read. Actually I didn't even picked it up to read. I choose to listen to it as my first audio book. Well it might have been the only one at the library when I went to pick up an audio book, but I'm glad it was. Wither is such a great story! I was addicted. Most of the time I didn't want to get out of the car, I wanted to keep listening. 


Why did I want to try an audio book? Well, I just got my first car and my license so I thought I would put one in since I couldn't figure out my radio. This happened to be the one I picked up. My first opinion of this audio book was boring. The narrator seemed to have no emotion. Everything was read in monotone. I almost stopped listening to it. But after a few chapters it started to pick up and I got addicted to the story. I wanted to know what would happen to Rhine and her sister wives. (Yes sister wives, it was a bit weird for me too at first). 


Lauren Destefano created this scary world where everyone dies at twenty or twenty-five. Girls are taken off the streets to be wives, and forced to have children. Yet, everything was so descriptive and beautiful. At times I wish I lived in the orange grove at Lindon's manson. The character's in the novels were also well-rounded. They had there flaws, and ones that you start off hating end up being your favorites. Such as Cecily.  


Wither also had a love triangle. This one actually didn't bother me much. Rhine was married to Lindon, but she was forced into it. I don't think she would ever be able to love him after that. I wouldn't. Then there is Gabriel who was there when she needed someone. While I liked Lindon, he didn't know what he was doing wrong, I will always be team Gabriel. 


There was only one other problem I had with the audio book. It is also with the narrator, sometimes I couldn't tell when Rhine was saying something or thinking it. I didn't get quotation marks like reading and the narrator's voice didn't change much. Other then that I really enjoyed listening. I'll be picking up another one soon, but I'll probably read Fever instead. Audio books just take to long to listen to. 


What do you think of audio books? 
--Danielle

1 comment:

  1. You know, we have mixed feelings about audio books. Stephanie loves them, but the rest of us are not as enthralled. Kristan for example really can't pay attention to things that she's listening to. (Which did not make school easy…) But we are glad that you enjoyed the story, because we thought WITHER was a very interesting book. In particular, we loved the relationships between the girls. We weren't expecting that sort of depth in the sister-wife relationships. We did have some questions/doubts about the world-building… But perhaps those get resolved/explained later in the series?

    ReplyDelete

Follow With A Book on Tumblr!

http://www.with-a-book.tumblr.com/

and now on instagram!
@with_a_book