Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June (Review)

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June

By: Robin Benway
On-Sale: 8/3/2010
Amazon
Summary: Three sisters, three extraordinary, life-changing powers!
"I hugged my sisters and they fit against my sides like two jigsaw pieces that would never fit anywhere else. I couldn’t imagine ever letting them go again, like releasing them would be to surrender the best parts of myself."

Three sisters share a magical, unshakable bond in this witty high-concept novel from the critically acclaimed author of Audrey, Wait! Around the time of their parents’ divorce, sisters April, May, and June recover special powers from childhood—powers that come in handy navigating the hell that is high school. Powers that help them cope with the hardest year of their lives. But could they have a greater purpose?

Review: I’m a huge fan of Robin Benway’s last book, so when I heard about The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May and June I was beyond excited. It sounded as witty, and fun as ‘Audrey Wait’, and I just couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. When I received it in a package with my first ARC’s ever, I was so happy.

Then I started to read it. For the first half of the book it moved so fast, you barely have a page to take in any information. When the girls realized they had powers, they didn’t think much of it. I know if I randomly got superpowers I’d be freaking out, and asking a lot of questions. Wouldn’t you?

Not much happens in the three quarters of the novel. Once an intense plot started to form the story did get much better, and I wanted to keep reading. It just took so long to get to that point. I also wish Robin Benway went into more detail about the back story of the girls and their powers.

Overall it was an entertaining book to read once you get passes the first half. You will grow to love these sisters and wish you had one of their amazing powers. (Personally I’d like May’s; being able to go invisible could be useful).

I hope Robin Benway’s next book is a bit more like Audrey, Wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow With A Book on Tumblr!

http://www.with-a-book.tumblr.com/

and now on instagram!
@with_a_book