Monday, June 14, 2010

Anastasia’s Secret

Anastasia’s Secret
By Susanne Dunlap
View On Amazon

Summary:
“Will I never see you again either?” I asked, feeling as though I was about to jump off a high mountain peak and hope to land without hurting myself. That’s how impossible everything seemed at that moment, no matter what I did.


“Perhaps we will meet again,” Sasha said, softening his voice. “But you must see that it does not matter. You have so much ahead of you. It’s your choice now. Choose the future! Choose life!”


For Anastasia Romanov, life as the privileged daughter of Russia’s last tsar is about to be torn apart by the bloodshed of revolution. Ousted from the imperial palace when the Bolsheviks seize control of the government, Anastasia and her family are exiled to Siberia. But even while the rebels debate the family’s future with agonizing slowness and the threat to their lives grows more menacing, romance quietly blooms between Anastasia and Sasha, a sympathetic young guard she has known since childhood. But will the strength of their love be enough to save Anastasia from a violent death?


Inspired by the mysteries that have long surrounded the last days of the Romanov family, Susanne Dunlap’s new novel is a haunting vision of the life—and love story—of Russia’s last princess.

Review: In the authors note at the end of Anastasia’s Secret, Susanne Dunlap said she was scared to be writing in first person point of view of an actually historical character but she had absolutely no to reason to be. Susanne did an outstanding job, most of the time I felt like I was reading from a diary that Anastasia herself wrote.


I’ve read and watched so many different things about Anastasia, but Susanne Dunlap is by far one of my favorites. Her novel was more about what actually happened (with a fictional romance thrown in) then most stories about the myths and mysteries. Anastasia’s Secret was very historically accurate with a few things moved around for the plot, which Susanne even tells you about in her Author’s Note at the end.

I loved the romance, but I wish I new more about Sasha, the soldier Anastasia falls for. He’s also the one that gives her the information about what’s actually going on in Russia. While he’s a huge part of the story you don’t actually know much about him as a person, but I guess there never was too much time to talk about their feelings in the secret romance. They had to be so careful about their meetings, and couldn’t let anyone find. Especially toward the end of the book, it’s what keeps the reader on the edge and flipping through the pages.

I really enjoyed this Anastasia’s Secret. It held my attention from the beginning to the very end. Even though I cried, since it’s a historically actuate book if you know the story of the Romanov’s you know how it ends. But just incase you live under a rock and slept through your history classes, I’ll keep by mouth shut. (Well I guess I mean I’ll keep my fingers from typing.)

--Danielle
Oh I'm trying out a new comments, so I'll be able to comment back. I hope it works out!

1 comment:

  1. I want to read the book but I want to make sure it's accurate because I heard the movie that was my favorite when I was young was wrong in a few places. Thanks for the review I'll be sure to read it now.

    ReplyDelete

Follow With A Book on Tumblr!

http://www.with-a-book.tumblr.com/

and now on instagram!
@with_a_book