Monday, August 30, 2010

Journey To The Past :

Journey To The Past: (and to the future) When most people go to the bookstore or library they look at the new releases, but what about all those other books? They deserve some love too. So once a week I write about a slightly older book.




UGLIES (Trilogy) By: Scott Westerfeld
Published in 2005
Summary: Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license—for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world—and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

Thoughts: I’m sure most of you have heard of this series, but just incase you have yet to read it I have made it my JTTP post for this week. I haven’t done one in awhile and honestly it’s because I forgot. I’m so sorry about that, but here I am and I’m going to talk about this amazing book.

Actually Mockingjay is what made me remember Uglies. They’ve always seems very similar to me. Out of the two I prefer Uglies. I think The Hunger Games were a bit too violent for me. Both series follow a teenage girl as she plays a part in a revolution (of sorts). This is actually where most of the similarities end, well except for the love triangle.

There are three books in this series Uglies, Pretties, and Specials. In the beginning all Tally wants is to be pretty but she gets tangled in a big mess. I bought Uglies at a book fair in school, but I didn’t read it until a year after. It takes awhile to get into the book. The beginning is very confusing and a bit slow but once the adventure starts you won’t be able to stop reading. I remember rushing out to Target to get Pretties, and grabbing Specials in the airport the second I finished Pretties. Then spending my whole vacation reading.

I loved the plot, and the world Scott Westerfeld created. It was so different and new. My favorite part was the romance, but there’s not too much of it through out the books. (Team David!) If for some reason you have not read this trilogy, you really should especially if you’re a fan of the Hunger Games.

--Danielle
P.S. For Uglies fans did you know that it's being made into a movie??? You can go here for the lastest info on the progress. They haven't even started casting yet so there won't be any news anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow With A Book on Tumblr!

http://www.with-a-book.tumblr.com/

and now on instagram!
@with_a_book