Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Journey To The Past

Journey To The Past: When most people go to the bookstore or library they look at the new releases, but what about all those other books? They deserve some love too. So once a week I write about a slightly older book.


Cathy's Book: If Found Call (650)266-8233
By: Sean Stewart, Jordan Weisman
Published in 2006
Goodreads
Summary:Things weren't so peachy in Cathy's life before Victor broke up with her. Her father died unexpectedly, she's failing school, and her best friend is mad at her. But when Cathy decides to investigate Victor's reasons for ending their relationship, things suddenly go from bad to very, very, very bad as her findings produce more questions than answers. For instance, what does the death of Victor's co-worker, the strange mark that appeared on Cathy's arm, and the surreal behavior of several Chinese elders have to do with it?
Thoughts: I don’t think I’ve ever had as much fun reading a book, as I did with this one. As I read I became attached to the characters and the plot, but the best part? This wasn’t just a book it’s a mystery journal. I know this is a complete work of fiction and Cathy doesn’t actually exist but I felt like it was someone’s personal book.


On almost every page you can find doodles, and sketches of characters that Cathy drew. Under the front flap (for hard covers) is a pocket filled with pictures, notes, napkins with writing, and so much more. The phone number, websites, and emails you find actually work. I dare you to call the one in the title!

I loved Cathy’s voice in her journal, she felt so real. I could relate to her very easily. The mystery will have you wondering and guessing the whole time. I read the whole book in one day. Most of the time I was sitting on the floor with the ‘evidence’ around me. Some parts I figured out (but not without putting a lot of thought into it) and some took me completely by surprise.

If you haven’t read this book yet I strongly suggest you do. Then when you’re done there are two more books in the series. I also just found out that there is an I-pod/I-phone app where you can read the book and see all the doodles and 'evidence' come to life. And if you have already read this book leave a comment below! I would love to here what you thought.




P.S. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to post an actual review but I have to leave for band practice so I didn't have time to write it up.

Also sometime this week I'm going to be doing a post about e-piracy. I've already made a button and in the post I'll make a link for it if you want to use it on your blog. Here's what it looks like so far...
What do you think?


*just noticed the spelling mistake. . . oops. Picnik doesn't have spell check. I'm fixing that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow With A Book on Tumblr!

http://www.with-a-book.tumblr.com/

and now on instagram!
@with_a_book