Thursday, July 17, 2014

Sneak Peak Review: The Lies We Tell Ourselves

15828079Lies We Tell Ourselves
By: Robin Talley
Release Date: September 30th, 2014
Source: BookCon


Sneak Peak Review by Marissa:

I am so excited to tell you guys about this book. I am not going to give a full review, more of a preview, because this book doesn’t come until October. But I wanted to give you guys a heads up about this one. I received this book at Book-Con.

In a brief overview, basically this book is set up in Virginia, late 1950’s public school. Like many white Southern schools during this time, many people were vehemently opposed to the impending integration of black and white students. Instead of taking this story from a grandiose, historical perspective, Talley sets the story from the perspective of the students. While they are dealing with all these larger scale issues, they are also dealing with typical high school things. Like friendships, love, peer pressure, which makes this story so relatable to me. The story is centered on two girls, Sarah and Linda, and their friends.

I don’t want to give away a lot, but another thing about the set up about the book that I really liked was the chapters are separated into literally the different lies we tell ourselves. It is a small detail that I really enjoyed.

This isn’t my typical fantasy, or romantic coming of age novel. I usually don’t get into novels that are so close to non-fiction. But I really enjoyed this one, and I think it will be a huge success when it comes out. Keep a look out for it in October! Have a lovely week everyone!


--Marissa

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you liked this one! We've started participating in a YA Diversity Book Club, and this is one of our upcoming selections. :)

    ReplyDelete

Follow With A Book on Tumblr!

http://www.with-a-book.tumblr.com/

and now on instagram!
@with_a_book